Intelligently automating various online tasks can result in increased productivity. One such case is that of automatically sending the received attachments in Gmail to cloud storage. A number of solutions exist for automating this task; below is a step-by-step guide of using the popular service IFTTT to automatically send Gmail attachments to Dropbox, Box, Google Drive or SkyDrive.
Create a free account on IFTTT.com or login to an existing one.
- Select ‘Create‘
- In the first section titled ‘Create a Recepie’: Select ‘this‘
- Choose Trigger Channel: Select Gmail (You’ll need to authorize IFTTT to use Gmail if not done before)
- Choose a Trigger: Select ‘Add New Attachment’
- Complete Trigger Fields: Click ‘Create Trigger’
- Select ‘that’
- Choose Action Channel: Select Dropbox (or Box, SkyDrive, Google Drive) – Authorization by the cloud storage services will be needed for IFTTT access.
- Choose an Action: Select ‘Add File from URL’
- Complete Action Fields: Click ‘Create Action’
- Create and Activate: Click ‘Create Recepie’
Done! By default, files will be stored in the folder IFTTT/Gmail. The location of folder, file name etc. can be customized in step 9. The attachment file limit is set as 30MB.